Friday, July 24, 2009

A Tribute to MawBrock



Today, there is a sad and triumphant service marking the passing of MawBrock from this life to Heaven. How I wish that I could be in Lufkin with all the family and friends. Since I can't, I have decided to dedicate a blog to her today...and it is impossible to leave out PapaBrock so he is included too.

I met Sis Brock in the cafeteria of the school in Pasadena where I was teaching 4th grade. She was the cafeteria manager. We talked a bit now and then. I saw her husband and her daughter in law and the kids come to school at times. Finally, I asked where she went to church and found out that it was Apostolic Temple. That began a friendship that led me to Apostolic Temple and lots of wonderful times with the Brock family.

Papa and MawBrock invited me out to eat after church....we would go to Casa Ole, Taco Bueno, Denny's and Wendy's often with Martin and Debra and LeeRoy and Elaine. We also went to Luby's on week days. I went shopping with her at Marshall's and Target! Papa and MawBrock invited me to go up to Lufkin with them and I learned how to ride a three wheeler. Glenda and I would ride and sometimes MawBrock and I would ride out in the country around their fields and house. They "carried" me with them to Louisiana Campmeeting and I was introducted to UPC summer campmeetings and all the excitement that means! I made all the bulletin boards outside the cafeteria for MawBrock and had such fun doing it. They invited me to have Thanksgiving with them....and the rest of the family. What wonderful food! and what wonderful fellowship! I remember the day we were shopping at the Mall and entered a baby shop.....that's where Debra told me that she was expecting Kristi and I felt so honored to share that special time with the family. Once I cut my finger tip almost off and could not stop the bleeding....it is hard to believe, but Papa Brock held my hand (put pressure on the cut), MawBrock fixed my hair (incredible!), and then she bandaged my finger! We laughed together, visited, prayed, worshipped at church, Papa "preached" to us, and we ate a lot. Italian Cream Cake! Hers was always the very best! I remember lots of trips in the car or truck from South Houston to Lufkin and then fun times there, especially when Glenda went with us!!! She will remember our times buying "watches" in Woolworth!!!!

Time went by and they retired and I moved down to the Valley. Over the years, we talked on the phone and visited whenever I had a chance to go to Houston or even through Lufkin. I always felt the same warm friendship whenever we would talk or be together.

Papa and MawBrock were great examples in their spiritual life, their hospitality, and their love for life and people. They made a very deep impression on my life and even my ministry. They leave us some very difficult footsteps to follow.

And, they leave me very special friends:Debra and Martin, Kristi, Kraig, Glenda, Wesley, Glenn and the rest of the family.

I thank God for bringing Papa and MawBrock into my life! The memory of them will always be precious!

Note: Thank you, Kristi, for letting me post the picture of MawBrock and the grandchildren, Glenda, Wesley, Kristi and Kraig. I love this picture of MawMaw--the way she will remain in my memory.

No comments: