Monday, May 25, 2009

Aunt Myrtle



Yesterday my Aunt Myrtle moved from this earth to her heavenly reward. She's my Dad's sister-in-law, the widow of his older brother. When Dad's Mother died, she married my uncle and became a second mother to the rest of the siblings. You cannot imagine a sweeter, more gentle and loving person. I have such fond memories of spending our week of summer vacation at their home in Rice Lake, Wisconsin. She made wonderful doughnuts, cinnamon rolls, waffles and cookies! When Dad had his arm amputated and then went into septic shock, I called Aunt Myrtle and without saying a word to me, she began praying for Dad. She was such special prayer warrior. I also greatly admire the grace with which she lived her last years while she was battling cancer.....like a true lady.

Although the immediate family will have a small service soon, the memorial service will be on June 28th (tentatively scheduled), as we are having the Roen reunion that weekend and many of us will be in Rice Lake, Wisconsin at that time.

I want to give some special recognition to my cousin Arvid. He faithfully and lovingly cared for first his aunt Violet and then his Mother so that they could remain in their home instead of going to a nursing facility. During the last months, he was with Aunt Myrtle basically 24/7. Such a wonderful gift he gave to his mother.

Aunt Myrtle leaves us a wonderful example and so many beautiful memories.

Note: The first picture shows left to right my brother David, Arvid, and my Dad.
The second picture shows my Dad and Mom with Aunt Myrtle in the middle.

No comments: