Monday, September 22, 2008

Maxie's farewell picture

At 2 a.m. on Thursday, Sept. 18th, Maxie had her final seizure and her little heart stopped beating. She was planning to go to Illinois with us to visit her Grammy and Grampy but she didn't make it. Her little body is buried in the church pet cemetery with a single rose on top of the grave.

I still cry when I fix only one plate of food...when only one set for four paws accompanies me through the house....when I get to sleep on my pillow all night because no one borrows it. I can't get rid of her clothes...she has lots of them. Memories of Maxie are all around me. She was my first "inside" dog, a real little snuggler, thought the vet was a spa, loved to have her tummy scratched and she was a great Mom to her 6 babies. I am so thankful that she left me Opie, even though he is sad now too.

We leave tomorrow morning for a trip to Illinois as we had planned. I know it will be wonderful to visit with my family and see the beauty of Illinois and Wisconsin. And maybe our hearts will start to mend. Maxie will always have a special place in my memories....along with Chula, Tiffany, Canela, Nicolasa, Heidi, Preciosa, Semafaro, Priscilla......and even Tippy, Trixie, Snookie from my childhood.

I have added lots of pictures and some comments about Maxie....they are in reverse order but you can enjoy them, if you wish.

3 comments:

Vicki said...

oh Susy, how did I miss this ... I am SO sorry for you and Opie. I pray your journey north will be the diversion you need. Lots of love and prayers and journey well!

Anonymous said...

Hi Sis! This is a really nice tribute to Maxie ! She was a great companion for you and you were a great "Mom" to her and cared so lovingly for her. I am thankful she is at peace from those awful seizures and that you have Opie to help you thru this sad time ! See ya real soon !! Jan

Tracie Smith said...

Sorry to hear about your little Maxie. From someone who has had seizures they aren't fun. They leave you very weak for days. I can't imagine how something as small as Maxie felt. I know you will miss her. Have fun on your trip. I know your family will be glad to see you!