Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Bible, (note)Book, Black pen, and BLANK!

I have collected all my materials....my wellworn, much underlined and marked Bible, a noteBook for collecting references and jotting down thoughts to turn into an outline, a Black pen (since it begins with B! ), and now everything is BLANK. I need to prepare a sermon.
I have no beginning thoughts........
no catchy stories.......
no list of possible texts.......
no themes......
nothing I "feel" led to talk about........
well, just a big BLANK!!!

Now, I wonder...... If I went to church on Sunday morning, we had a regular praise and worship time, collected the offering, ran through the announcements for the coming week, took prayer requests and prayed..............and then, I said, "Well, my sermon for this morning is BLANK. I have nothing to say. I guess we will just dismiss............... would the congregation rejoice and hurry to get somewhere to eat? would they decide to withhold the tithes since I hadn't delivered? would they sit in disappointed silence or shock????? I wonder what would happen.

Sometimes, I do have blanks and almost panic as Saturday evening gets closer and closer. But God is the "Sermon-Giver". He always comes through with a fresh Word!

No comments: